Freshman Moving Tips
It is really hard to believe that summer is almost over but that also means that a new semester at Vanderbilt is right around the corner! As some of us return to campus, we realize the daunting task ahead; preparing, packing, and moving into new dormitories or off campus housing arrangements. For incoming freshman, the experience can be quite overwhelming but the transition from the comforts of your hometown to your brand new dorm room can be smooth if you consider doing the following:
1. Do NOT bring a dolley or cart to move your belongings into the dorm. Your vehicle containing your belongings will be strategically invaded by a team of students in matching shirts before you know what hit you. Each dorm will be equipped with a handful of hotel carts used by the move crew so a dolley or cart of your own are not necessary.
2. Bring a rubber mallet. This may only apply to some people but if you are not happy with setup of your bed (they typically come lofted) it is possible to deloft your bed using a rubber mallet. A normal hammer is not as effective and may damage the bed frame. Mallets are usually available in the dorms but a lot of people may be using them on move in day and access to them may be limited. If you don’t want to wait to use one, it may be wise to bring one with you if you are more comfortable with a bed lower to the ground. If you decide to deloft your bed, KEEP TRACK of the metal pegs on the wooden frame. They can prove to be rather expensive if lost.
3. Bring other tools you may need. Screwdrivers are always useful for assembling bookshelves, furniture, and other last minute things you may need when getting to school.
4. If you have posters and other things to hang on the walls of your dorm room, command strips will not disappoint you. They always seem to be just the right thing when needing to attach things to the wall.
5. Plastic bins are great for storage and come in handy when needing to save space. Things like t-shirts or athletic gear that may not fit in bulk into drawers can be put in bins on the floor of your closet. This is just one of many uses.
Nobody remembers everything when moving into their first dorm room so if you need to run some last minute errands around Nashville, these stores locations may serve you well.
Kroger Stores near Vanderbilt:
800 Monroe Street, Nashville, TN 37208-2540 (Distance to Vanderbilt: 4.0 miles)
Publix Stores near Vanderbilt:
6614 Charlotte Pike, Nashville, TN 37209-4202 (Distance to Vanderbilt: 5.2 miles)
4324 Harding Pike, Nashville, TN 37205-2202 (Distance to Vanderbilt: 2.9 miles)
Walmart Stores near Vanderbilt:
7044 Charlotte Pike, Nashville, TN 37209 (Distance to Vanderbilt: 7.7 miles)
Target Stores near Vanderbilt:
26 White Bridge Rd, Nashville, TN 37205 (Distance to Vanderbilt: 3.7 miles)
6814 Charlotte Pike, Nashville, TN 37209 (Distance to Vanderbilt: 6.0 miles)
Costco Stores near Vanderbilt:
6670 Charlotte Pike, Nashville TN 37209-4202 (Distance to Vanderbilt: 6.2 miles)
Sam’s Club Stores near Vanderbilt:
615 Old Hickory Blvd, Nashville, TN 37209 (Distance to Vanderbilt 7.1 miles)
1300 Antioch Pike, Nashville, TN 37211 (Distance to Vanderbilt: 7.4 miles)
Congratulations and best of luck to all of the incoming freshman. It is going to be an exciting year.