Undergraduate Transfer Students


Admission of transfer students to Vanderbilt is competitive and based on academic merit. While there is not a strict priority based on the date of application submission, transfer students are encouraged to submit their application by the March 15 deadline for fall term consideration. Applications received after March 15 may be considered on a space-available basis. We will begin notifying students of their decisions by mid-April and continue on a rolling basis until our transfer class is full. It is our practice to offer transfer admission for the fall semester only.

If you have questions, please contact your admissions officer.  We assign counselors based on the high school from which you graduated.

Transfer Admission

Students from accredited institutions are welcome to apply as transfer students to Vanderbilt University. Students must have completed at least 12 semester hours of credit to be considered for transfer. All students admitted as transfers must be enrolled for at least 4 semesters (60 credit hours) to earn a degree from Vanderbilt University.

Preference will be given to students who have been enrolled full-time in college-level coursework at institutions similar to Vanderbilt. Collegiate academic achievement is important in admissions decisions, and we also review indicators of academic success including the high school record, standardized test scores (required for transfer admission), letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities. We also consider the fit with the undergraduate school and the Vanderbilt major/program for which students have applied.

Interviews are not part of the transfer admission process at Vanderbilt. Application essays provide insight into the applicant's perspective and enhance our understanding of how the applicant might contribute to the Vanderbilt community. Please visit blair.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/apply for all details regarding application requirements for the Blair School of Music.

Students who already have a bachelor's degree may not apply to the College of Arts and Science to pursue a second bachelor's degree, but are encouraged to look into graduate and professional school admission. Students with a bachelor's degree are welcome to apply to the Blair School of Music, School of Engineering, or Peabody College of Education and Human Development to earn a more specialized second bachelor's degree.

Financial Aid & Opportunity Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt meets 100% of demonstrated financial need for all admitted students, including transfer students. Our admissions process is need-blind for U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens. Read more about the three important commitments we make to admitted students through Opportunity Vanderbilt. Please also note:

For more information on need-based financial aid, visit the Office of Student Financial Aid and Undergraduate Scholarships website.

Transfer Credits and Housing 

  • The Office of Undergraduate Admissions does not evaluate transfer credit. After admission, transfer students can contact the appropriate undergraduate school for details about how their credits will be applied at Vanderbilt. Academic credit earned at accredited institutions is evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Generally, if a course is similar in description and content to a course at Vanderbilt, transfer credit may be awarded. Work transferred to Vanderbilt from another institution will not carry with it a grade point average.
  • Transfer students are required to live in on-campus housing unless granted a waiver by the Office of Housing and Residential Education.

International Students

International students interested in transferring to Vanderbilt University must submit the required application materials listed below. Moreover, international students are required to submit the TOEFL or the IELTS unless a student has been engaged in an English-speaking curriculum for at least three years, including any time spent in college. The TOEFL/IELTS requirement may also be waived for a student who has scored above 600 on the SAT Critical Reading. All application materials, including materials from nationally or internationally accredited colleges and secondary schools, must be submitted in English or must be translated by a professional translating service (please visit EducationUSA if you have questions regarding translating services).

Financial aid is not available for international transfer students. It is the responsibility of the student to secure funding. For financial aid purposes, students are considered to be international if they do not meet the eligibility criteria to receive federal student financial assistance. (To qualify for federal assistance, students must be United States citizens or eligible non-citizens.) International transfer students with financial need should investigate external sources of financial aid.

Veterans and Active Military Duty

Applicants who wish to take advantage of veterans benefits at Vanderbilt University should visit registrar.vanderbilt.edu/va-benefits/ or www.gibill.va.gov.

Vanderbilt University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. Learn more here

The application requirements for Veterans and Active Military are the same as for other transfer students. See the "Application Checklist" below for details of what is required. Once admitted, students are required to file additional paperwork in order to receive veterans benefits.

Application Checklist

You may apply using either the Common Application or the Universal College Application. Select one application method and submit all materials through that method; do not submit both. All parts of the application should be submitted by the published deadlines.

  • All required parts of either the Common Application Transfer Application or the Universal College Application Transfer Application.
  • $50 nonrefundable application fee, or fee waiver for qualified students
  • Official high school transcript
  • Official college transcript(s) (from each institution attended)
  • Transfer College Report (from the institution you are transferring from)
  • Two academic teacher letters of recommendation (we prefer that at least one letter is from a college professor/instructor)
  • Official SAT or ACT scores (SAT code: 1871 / ACT code: 4036)
  • Additional requirements for Blair School of Music applicants:
  • All applicants to Blair must complete a music resume and submit forms for two music teacher recommendations via the Blair DecisionDesk application.
  • All applicants to Blair must submit a prescreening audition video via the Blair DecisionDesk application.
  • Additional requirements for international transfer applicants
  • International applicants will be prompted to complete an international section of the Common Application
  • Official results of the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE if applicable*

*Applicants whose first language and language of instruction is not English are required to take one of the following: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), or the Pearson Test of English (PTE). For the TOEFL, a minimum score of 100 on the internet-based test or 230 on the computer-based test, a 7.0 on the IELTS, and a score of at least 70 on the Pearson are recommended. The Vanderbilt University ETS code is 1871.

Admitted Transfer Students

In addition to the Transfer Enrollment publication, admitted transfer students should visit the Dean of Students website for the most pertinent resources regarding dates and deadlines, orientation, and much more. Additionally, the links below provide admitted and prospective transfer students a few key ways to continue getting to know Vanderbilt.

Additional Resources