Application Checklist for First-Year Applicants
- All required parts of the Coalition Application or Common Application
- $50 nonrefundable application fee, or fee waiver for qualified students
- Official high school transcript
- Counselor letter of recommendation
- Two academic teacher letters of recommendation
- Optional for students applying for fall 2021 entry: SAT or ACT scores (SAT code: 1871 / ACT code: 4036)
All applicants to Blair must complete the Blair School of Music Application in addition to the Coalition Application or the Common Application. Please visit blair.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/apply for all details and latest information regarding application requirements for Blair applicants.
Blair School of Music Application Required Materials:
- Two Artistic Recommendations
- Headshot or Photo (for identification purposes; does not need to be professional)
- Music Resume
- Repertoire List
- Prescreening Video
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Blair School of Music Application cannot be accessed until your Common Application or Coalition Application has been submitted and your MyAppVU portal has been created. Once your portal has been created, you can access the Blair School of Music Application through the “Application Checklist” section.
No additional requirements are needed for homeschool applicants.
As long as a homeschooled student has submitted all required pieces of the application process, we will consider his or her candidacy as we would any other student. Homeschool students should use the appropriate sections of the Coalition Application, Common Application, or QuestBridge Application to explain curricular, social, or philosophical circumstances concerning their academic preparedness. It is often helpful to the Admissions Committee to understand the reasoning behind the homeschool choice.
The School Report should be used to upload the mandatory transcript, and any additional supporting academic documents, including a detailed curriculum guide, and/or school profile, if available. While a detailed curriculum guide is not required, it is often helpful in providing a fuller picture of the student’s academic background.
Recommendations for Homeschool Applicants
Individuals completing recommendations on behalf of homeschooled students applying through the Coalition Application should address the questions below in their recommendation (Used with permission of The Common Application®). Individuals completing recommendations on behalf of homeschooled students applying through the Common Application will be prompted to complete these questions through the Common Application.
- Please provide any information about the applicant's homeschool experience and environment that you believe would be helpful to the reader (e.g. educational philosophy, motivation for homeschooling, instruction setting, etc.).
- Please explain the grading scale or other methods of evaluation.
- Optional: If the student has taken courses from a distance learning program, traditional secondary school, or institution of higher education, please list the course title and content, sponsoring institution, instruction setting and schedule, and frequency of interactions with instructors and fellow students (once per day, week, etc.). In addition, if the student has taken any standardized testing other than those listed on the application, please also describe below.
- Are you a member of a homeschooler's association?
- Association name
- International applicants will be prompted to complete an international section of the Common Application
- Official results of the TOEFL, TOEFL Special Home Edition, IELTS, PTE Academic, or Duolingo English Test if applicable*
- A completed College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile, if applicable**
*Applicants whose first language or language of instruction is not English are required to submit official scores of one of the following English language proficiency tests: TOEFL, TOEFL Special Home Edition, IELTS, PTE Academic, or Duolingo English Test. Vanderbilt's recommended minimum scores are a 100 on the internet-based TOEFL, a 230 on the computer-based TOEFL, a 7.0 on the IELTS, a 70 on the PTE Academic, and a 120 on the Duolingo English Test. The English language proficiency test requirement will be waived if a student has scored above 33 on the SAT Reading Test or above a 26 on the ACT English section.
**International applicants requesting consideration for need-based financial aid are required to submit the CSS Profile showing their sources of financial support.
Please provide all documents in English.