Alumni Interviews NOW Available!
I can’t believe I’m wrapping up my final week of fall recruitment. Hopefully, I’ll see many of the students I’ve met these past few months on campus next year! As we reach the peak of application season, be aware that alumni interviews are an optional part of the application process at Vanderbilt.
Alumni interviews at Vanderbilt are entering their eighth year and this year we have a more student-friendly site to connect prospective students with alumni in their hometowns. Plus, we now have CoRPs Coordinator, Dustin Lynn, who can assist students and alumni through this process.
Here’s the skinny on the alumni interview process…
- Any student who submits a Vanderbilt Supplement or Common Application for Vanderbilt will receive an email offering the opportunity to interview with a Vanderbilt alumnus
- The alumni who conduct the interviews voluntarily choose to participate in the Commodore Recruitment Program (CoRPs) as a way to remain connected with the university’s ongoing mission
- Approximately 20 percent of our applicants completed an alumni interview last year; the interviews are not required, but we recommend participating if you are able to do so
- Parents or guardians are not permitted to participate in the interview
- Alumni interviews are both informational and evaluative
- This is an opportunity for prospective students to ask questions about the university experience and the post-graduation value of a Vanderbilt degree
- Additionally, this is an opportunity for prospective students to present themselves to a representative of Vanderbilt University and to respond to questions the alumni may ask
- These interviews should last 30-60 minutes
- Alumni interviewers complete an official report within two weeks of the meeting and the report becomes an official part of the prospective student’s application
- Prospective students who had already started an application to Vanderbilt University received the email regarding this opportunity on October 15th; emails will continue to be sent daily as students begin applications to Vanderbilt
- Students applying for Early Decision I must request an interview by November 6th; students applying for Early Decision II must request an interview by January 8th; students applying for Regular Decision must request an interview by January 15th
- Alumni interviews must take place in a public location such as a coffee shop, local library, or community center
- Interviews cannot be conducted in a private home or office; if an alumnus suggests a private venue, please remind them of the public location requirement
- Interviews should occur in or around your hometown; we understand some areas have greater numbers of Vanderbilt alumni than others – do not feel as if you need to travel in order to interview (they are not required for your application)
- The interview reports submitted by alumni interviewers may be used by admissions officers in the decision-making process
- Gain another perspective on Vanderbilt; start to think about the reward for investing in a Vanderbilt education
- Share your love of the Commodores with another individual
If you have a general admissions question, post here or contact your admissions officer. If you have a question about alumni interviews or experience a problem, contact Dustin Lynn (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Good luck in your interviews!