The Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship
Joe L. Roby and Hilppa A. K. Roby have established the Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship, providing full-tuition support to undergraduate students from Finland with demonstrated financial need who are enrolled in Vanderbilt’s College of Arts and Science. In addition to full tuition, the scholarship will provide a stipend of up to $5,000 to be used for a onetime summer study abroad, research investigation or other approved experience, and an additional $1,500 per year as a travel allowance to and from Finland. A special partnership with the Fulbright Finland Foundation, The Fulbright Finland Partnership Award with Vanderbilt University, gives added value (orientation in Finland, visa process support, advising services, and alumni connections) to those Finnish students that receive the Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship.
To be considered for the Hilppa A. K. Roby Scholarship, students must meet Vanderbilt’s highly selective admission criteria and are also required to apply and qualify for need-based financial assistance; no additional application is necessary for the Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship. For more information, contact John Gaines, Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs. Roby was born in Helsinki, Finland, was previously associated with the United Nations and is a longstanding trustee of the American-Scandinavian Foundation in New York City. Mr. Roby is a cum laude graduate of Vanderbilt University and has served on the University Board of Trust since 2000.
Finnish students may also apply for Vanderbilt University’s three signature merit-based scholarships:
- Ingram Scholars — students who plan to combine a professional or business career with an exceptional commitment to civic-minded service, innovation, an entrepreneurial spirit, and leadership. The program supports students who are committed to developing their personal roles in the solution to societal problems and who have the maturity and initiative to lead positive social change.
- Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholars — students who combine outstanding academic achievement with strong leadership and contributions outside the classroom.
- Chancellor's Scholars — students with outstanding high school records who have worked to build strong high school communities by bridging gaps among economically, socially, and racially diverse groups and who have demonstrated significant interest in issues of diversity education, tolerance, and social justice.
To be considered for Vanderbilt’s three signature merit-based scholarships, students must complete:
- Appropriate forms from Vanderbilt’s Application Packet for Merit-Based Scholarships
- The application for admission
Find complete information and applications for merit-based scholarships at www.vanderbilt.edu/scholarships.
Find complete information regarding other international need-based financial assistance at admissions.vanderbilt.edu/financial-aid/international.php.