Financial Aid Facts
Through Opportunity Vanderbilt, we make three important commitments to ensure that students from many different economics circumstances can enroll at Vanderbilt:
- Our admissions process is need-blind for U.S citizens and eligible non-citizens.
- Vanderbilt will meet 100% of demonstrated financial need for all admitted students.
- Our financial aid awards do not include loans. Financial aid packages for undergraduate students include only grant assistance and a reasonable work expectation.
|Books and Supplies||$1,294|
|Activities/Rec Center Fee||$1,164|
|First-Year Experience Fee||$765|
|New Student Transcript Fee||$100|
|Engineering Lab Fee*||$800|
|First-year Engineering Laptop Allowance*||$1,350|
Modest annual increases can be expected. Students should also allow for travel expenses and health insurance (if purchased through Vanderbilt).
*The Engineering Laptop Allowance and Laboratory Fee apply to engineering students only. First-year engineering students are required to either purchase a laptop from Vanderbilt or provide their own computer that meets published requirements.
- The amount of need-based financial aid awarded to a family is the difference between the amount a student and family are expected to pay toward college (expected family contribution) and the total cost of attendance.
- The average financial aid package for first-year students entering fall of 2016 included 97% gift aid and 3% work.
- While loans are not included in financial aid packages, under certain conditions and based upon individual family circumstances or desires, loans from federal and other sources may be made available to students upon their request to replace any work expectation in the award or to replace some portion of the expected family contribution.
- Total amount of gift assistance, from all sources, awarded to first-year undergraduate students for the 2016/17 academic year: $47,326,220.
- In 2016/17, 65% of undergraduate students received some form of financial assistance.
- The average financial aid package for 2016/17 among all undergraduates was $46,938.