Commodore Recruitment Program
Thank you for your interest in CoRPs! Registration is now closed and will re-open for the 2015-2016 admissions cycle this summer. You will receive an email from the Office of Alumni Relations regarding the program registration and we hope you will join us as a CoRPs volunteer at that time!
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions depends on Vanderbilt alumni to help identify and recruit talented high school students from around the globe for possible admission to Vanderbilt. The more active our alumni, the farther the reach of the admissions office. As we continue to seek a diverse population of academically talented students, we invite you to join Commodore Recruitment Programs (CoRPs) in this exciting and important endeavor.
There are several ways to get involved with CoRPs: interviewing, college fairs, and speaking engagements. To learn more about these activities, scroll down and read about how to get involved.
CoRPs Interviews allow students who have applied to Vanderbilt to meet with a Vanderbilt alumnus, and learn more about life and academics at Vanderbilt. Through CoRPs interviews the Office of Undergraduate Admissions reaches many more students in a one-on-one setting than would otherwise be possible. With highly selective admissions, adding a personalized perspective of Vanderbilt becomes even more important to our mission to recruit a highly diverse group of talented students. After each interview, the alumnus/a submits a report to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions which is added to the applicant's admission file. These reports are evaluative in nature and can be helpful in the admissions process.
CoRPs College Fairs
CoRPs members often represent Vanderbilt at local college fairs in their areas. Alumni find representing Vanderbilt at college fairs a fun way to stay connected to their alma mater. Vanderbilt alumni and parents of current Vanderbilt students are welcome to participate in CoRPs college fairs. Once you enroll as a volunteer for CoRPs college fairs, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will notify you by email throughout the year of opportunities. Alumni have the opportunity to accept or decline every invitation. Once you agree to attend the fair, the admissions office will mail you materials, detailed information about the event, and training materials, so you are equipped to represent Vanderbilt.
CoRPS speaking engagements allow alumni to talk about their experiences at Vanderbilt University at various recruitment functions throughout the year. Vanderbilt alumni and parents of a current Vanderbilt student may participate in CoRPs speaking engagements. For example, each summer the Office of Undergraduate Admissions hosts the Vanderbilt Road Show, a 90-minute information session held in approximately 60 cities across the country for prospective students and their families. Vanderbilt also hosts receptions in cities around the world for admitted students in April. CoRPs members are invited to speak briefly about their experiences at Vanderbilt and to field questions.
Am I eligible to participate as a CoRPs Volunteer?
Regardless of your graduation year or your college/graduate school at Vanderbilt, all VU alumni are invited to participate as CoRPs alumni volunteers.
To participate, a Vanderbilt alumnus/a must:
- Want to share his or her enthusiasm and love for Vanderbilt with others
- Enjoy meeting with prospective students from diverse backgrounds
- Have regular access to internet and to email
- Be willing to receive emails from applicants to request interviews, information about/invitations to assist at local college fairs, and information about engagements
- Participate in online training
- Not have a child applying to Vanderbilt or a child who is a rising senior in high school
- To conduct at least 5 interviews during the season (Keep in mind that you are welcome to turn down any interview request that does not fit into your schedule!)
- Respond to student emails within three business days and use an automated "out of office" reply if you cannot check your email for more than 3 consecutive days
- Represent Vanderbilt in a positive, honest light
- Treat every prospective student with respect and sensitivity
- Take the time to review the latest Vanderbilt information within training materials and the Admissions website
- Keep all student information confidential
- Be encouraging and resourceful, but always refrain from making comments regarding the likelihood of admission
- Conduct every interview in a public space
- Conduct only face-to-face interviews; telephone or internet-based interviews are not permitted (unless in circumstances pre-approved by VU Admissions)
- Share your personal experiences with Vanderbilt and encourage students and families to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions with more detailed questions
CoRPs is a partnership between the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the Alumni Association.